- Passage of the Dr. Ron Davis Smoke-Free Air Law, making most restaurants, bars, and other workplaces smoke-free, in 2010.
- Passage of legislation regulating the payday advance industry.
- Passage of legislation protecting Michigan’s wineries right to direct ship to the consumer.
- Passage of an administrative order clarifying the ability of airlines to furnish airplanes with alcoholic products purchased outside Michigan’s regulated system.
- Passage of a 2004 tobacco tax increase to generate revenue for Medicaid and the state General Fund, and to discourage youth tobacco use
- Passage of legislation establishing patient due process protections and streamlining access to prescription drugs that require prior authorization in the Medicaid program
- Passage of legislation creating an innovative “Single Point of Entry” for long–term care service information and community referral
- Blocking of measures to re-create a state court cause of action in tort for FDA-approved prescription drugs
- Passage of legislation creating mandatory high school graduation requirements with appropriate provisions and protections for students with developmental disabilities
- Passage of legislation requiring automatic external defibrillators and emergency medical plans in health clubs
- Passage of legislation retaining the highest standard for consent to release protected patient information on HIV/AIDS status
- Passage of legislation exempting critical drug classes (for treatment of mental illness, epilepsy, HIV and AIDS, cancer and organ transplant) from prior authorization in the Medicaid program
- Passage of legislation allowing Detroit-based hospitals to transfer beds to another location, as part of a statutory overhaul of the Certificate of Need program, against the opposition of business and labor groups
- Passage of legislation allowing for the withdrawal of a city from, and dissolution and sales of assets of, the South Oakland County Resource Recovery Authority
- Passage of controversial legislation creating the Detroit Wayne County Airport Authority, to govern Detroit Metropolitan Airport
- Passage of a measure to require that municipal solid waste incinerators have a 1000 foot setback from schools, day care centers, nursing homes and residential areas
- Passage (by one vote in the House and one vote in the Senate) of a measure to ratify four Indian gaming compacts
- Passage of over a dozen bills to curtail youth access to tobacco, including elimination of outdoor advertising of tobacco products and tougher restrictions on smoking in restaurants
- Significant new state spending for mental health services
- Creation of the Healthy Kids Dental program to assure access to oral health services for Michigan’s children
- New and continued programs in the Healthy Michigan Fund, including the Michigan Parkinson’s Initiative and African American Male Health Initiative
- Creation of licensure for hospice residences, the first new licensed health care facility category since the Public Health Code was adopted in 1978
- Defeat of measures to create segregated charter school academies
- Enactment of measures to improve end-of-life care in Michigan, including repeal of the Michigan Official Prescription Program
- Inclusion of consumer safeguards in budget language allowing prior authorization for certain Medicaid pharmaceutical products
- Passage of measures strengthening safeguards for persons with disabilities, including reform of guardianship statutes and mandatory consumer involvement in managed behavioral health initiatives
- Enactment of legislation extending “Good Samaritan” immunity to persons providing emergency services using an Automatic External Defibrillator, which restarts a heart to its normal pumping action
- Creation of mandatory insurance coverage for diabetes equipment, supplies and education, the first new insurance mandate in Michigan in over a decade
We also know that sometimes a client’s objective is to defeat legislation that would be unfavorable. And we’re equally as successful at defense as we are at offense.
503 Mall Ct. #204
Lansing, MI 48912
503 Mall Ct. #204
Lansing, MI 48912